All You Should Know About Almonds
Almonds are found in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and Syria. This nut is high in nutrients such as calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin E, and phosphorus. Also, it contains selenium, niacin, copper and zinc.
Almonds are full of beneficial components and nutrients compared to all other nuts. Both bitter and sweet almonds are readily available. Usually, bitter almonds are used for almond oil, while sweet almonds are edible.
Many people add almonds as an ingredient in casseroles, salads, and other dishes, but usually, they are eaten raw. An alternative to cow’s milk, which has fewer nutrients, is almond milk, also a delicious beverage. In order to increase and speed up the nutrients absorption, you can eat almonds directly, preferably on an empty stomach. If you soak them in water overnight, you can eat them next morning. Also, a wonderful garnish for a number of dishes is crushed almonds.
Almond forms and products
Whole, blanched, slivered, and sliced almonds are readily available as well as products like almond paste, almond milk, almond extract, almond butter, almond oil, and almond flour.
Sometimes, almonds are simply eaten raw, but usually, almonds are toasted before eating. However, there is a wide range of culinary uses for raw almonds. Usually, it’s sprinkled on desserts such as French macaroons, marzipan, ice cream sundaes, and even more. Almonds can also be processed into almond milk, which is ideal for people who are lactose-intolerant or vegans.
Almond syrup is made of the drupe. Additionally, the oil made of sweet almonds can be used as an olive oil substitute. Raw Almonds also have a great nutritional value. Only 28 grams are enough to provide a person’s body with high levels of fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium, apart from being a big source of calcium, protein, monounsaturated fat, and potassium.
Health benefits of almonds
1. People who consume almonds nuts five times a week have 50% less chance of heart attack.
2. Flavonoids found in almond skin work great in synergy with the vitamin E, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
3. Almonds which are added in the diet have a good effect on blood cholesterol levels.
4. Almonds provide healthy fats and weight loss. Nut eaters are averagely thinner than people who almost never eat nuts, even though these nuts are high in fat.
5. After meals almonds lower the rise of insulin and blood sugar.
6. The phosphorus in almonds helps build strong teeth and bones.
7. Almond are the only nut that is alkaline forming. If your body doesn’t have enough of alkaline, you risk low energy, weight gain, osteoporosis and poor immune function.
8. Almonds contain L-carnitine and riboflavin, nutrients that reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and boost brain activity.
9. Almonds also help increase longevity and high intellectual level.
You can find almonds blanched with no skins and shelled with skins. If you want to get them in the shell, shake them first. If they rattle a lot, they are probably aging and shrinking. For the freshest flavor, chop or slice purchased whole almonds before each use.
Usually, almonds which are aged turn rancid. If you want to check for rancidity, slice the almond in half and look throughout fro a solid white texture. If it has a honeycomb texture or it’s yellowish, it is way past its prime and it should be thrown away.