Juicing has become very popular in recent years, most of because it makes people feel good.
Drinking fresh and healthy juice is an easy way to get your recommended intake of fruits and vegetables, and it encourages us to eat fruits and vegetables we may otherwise avoid.
Oh, and it tastes amazing! If you have some questions about juicing, these 10 facts will help you understand juicing better.
1. More than 90 % of nutrients like antioxidants are found in fruits and vegetable juice, which means juice is important to our bodies when compared to fiber which can still be obtained from other sources and is not required in large quantity.
2. The best way to benefit from drinking raw juices as recommended by dietitians is to have them right after making and mostly on an empty stomach. This helps nutrient absorption in your body faster and efficiently.
3. When it comes to your calcium needs, natural juice can give the same amount as animal milk. Good sources are almonds, collard greens like kale, broccoli, and spinach. The only difference compared to animal milk is that it contains large amounts of protein; however, some juices will have more calories.
4. Juice from broccoli can help in boosting your immune system. This is because broccoli has more vitamin C that other known sources. This vitamin is however destroyed when you boil it or overcook, which makes the juicing process the best choice.
5. Papaya juice is one of the best choices for your digestive system. The reason is that this juice contains an enzyme called papain which helps in digestion of proteins. For even better results you can add some ginger as this helps relax the intestinal tract and cabbage which helps in clearing wastes from the gastrointestinal tract.
6. Juices have very little fiber considering all the juice is extracted and almost all fiber content is left behind in form of pulp. However, you can utilize this by adding some of the fiber in your juice or using it in your favorite recipes like in muffins or in broth, depending on what you prefer.
7. Juicing can be harmful to individuals with some health conditions. Even though we think of fruits as healthy, they can have a lot of sugar, which can be problematic for people with diabetes. Juicing can also be harmful to people with kidney disease, because too much potassium can build up in your blood, causing symptoms like muscle weakness, chest pain, fatigue, and diarrhea.
8. Juiced coconuts are a great source of electrolytes for the body especially when you have health problems like diarrhea, because of its high concentration of fiber. The ingredients in coconut juice are much more effective at hydrating your body than those of sports and energy drinks.
9. Did you know that juices can be better aphrodisiacs than chocolates or oysters? Juice watermelon, avocados, and celery are some of the best aphrodisiacs as they help boost your libido. Celery has pheromone, avocado contains vitamin B and watermelon has substances that help in relaxation of your blood vessels.
10. All green juices have chlorophyll, a very important compound that your body uses to detoxify and improve oxygen carrying capacity by your red blood cells. It also helps in balancing your body’s PH and prevents conditions like kidney stones which could occur as a result of low-grade acidosis.